As a Clinical Supervisor I provide supervision to Counsellors and other professionals such as staff in school who have direct responsibility for supervising staff or managing a child’s welfare.
- Ethical requirement (BACP, organisations, agencies etc)
- Ensures accountability among Counsellors, Teachers, Social Workers and others in the caring professions.
- Many professionals work in isolation and solitude and the work can be exhausting creating vulnerability
What do Supervisors do?
- Enable insight
- Monitor and Evaluate
- Support and challenge
- Evaluate theory and practice
- Facilitate personal development
- Monitor blockages and blindspots
- Facilitate professional development
- Highlight strengths and weaknesses
- Monitor and evaluate content and process.
- Monitor fitness to practice and observe ethics
- Monitor conditions in which practice takes place
- Monitor and evaluate strategies and interventions
- Encourages exploration of new ideas & techniques
- Support and challenge professionals in direct relation to current practice
- Recognise personal and developmental needs of the counsellor/professional